Revisited January 14, 2005; October 26, 2007; July 27, 2008; and April 14, 2017.
Copyright 1998-2017 by John W. Allen.





Panaeolus antillarum
(the "hysteria" fungus of Australia) a non-psychoactive mushroom.




Accidental Ingenstions of Psilocybian Mushrooms


Case Histories of Accidental Ingestions


 
Below are several case histories of accidental ingestions of psilocybian mushrooms. These are taken from various journals Starting with an intoxications from the 2nd Century in China to the 11th Century in Japan and then an important case study on an intoxication by Psilocybe semilanceata in London in 1792 and other case histories from the early and middle 1900s. Not necessarily in that order.

This study shows most accidental ingestions were probably the result of consuming certain specimens belonging to the genus Panaeolus, some from Gymnopilus and others from Psilocybe and Copelandia species.


Accidental Ingestions of the Panaeolus Kind
and
Other Related Species.


 
Pomerleau (1951) described the alleged effects of Panaeolus as those that "cause over stimulation of the nervous system, such as the Panaeoli." He further notes that "some species of Panaeolus can likewise cause slight poisoning. Shortly after eating them they can produce exagerated hilarity and visual disturbances. Recovery is usually rapid."



 
1. Dr. Stephen Pollock (1974, 1976) described several instances of case studies regarding the accidental ingestion of certain species of mushrooms belonging to the Genus Panaeolus and/or Copelandia. One of the earliest reports of an hallucinogenic experience occurred during the early part of the 11th century.

Predating even this 11th century case are cures in Chinese herbals from the 2nd century which repoorted on "Cures for the Laughing Sickness," thus indicating that they were known of during the Chin Dynasty in China before the birth of Christ.

Later reports of these intoxications came from 1792, 1816, 1914, 1917, 1949, 1957, and 1965. Pollock himself ingested Copelandia mushrooms in Hawaii as early as 1974 with no ill effects reported.

Most of these intoxications were obviously the result of eating Panaeolus species and some Gymnopilus were suspected. Also under discussion are two case studies on Copelanida intoxication and a case study of accidental ingestion of Psilocybe semilanceata which affected a whole family of one adult and four children in 1792 in London.



 
2. During the early part of the 11th century



UNDER CONSTRUCTION - MORE TO SOON FOLLOW

Return to the Grape Vine Index
Return to Main Index